Friday 28 December 2012

Transcendance: Measuring Spirituality

The Positive Psychology movement claims to be scientific, which is why it seemingly denies the influence of Humanistic Psychology. The majority of the research done within the matrix of positive psychology is conducted using scientific surveys. A range of the survey instruments being used are available from the authentic happiness site. Although you have to register in order to take any of the tests.

The VIA Survey of Character Strengths is one such instrument. 

The VIA Institute on Character proudly offers the free VIA Survey, a scientifically-validated strength assessment for adults and youth.

There is an impressive set of scientific literature on the character strengths, however I have some concerns about both the general principles of creating this sort of instrument for measuring subjective states, and the way that once such instruments are created they reify concepts.

Spirituality is one of the five character strengths that make up the virtue of transcendence, there are twenty four character strengths in total.

Transcendence: Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence, Gratitude, Hope, Humor, Spirituality

Looking at my strengths profile:

Strength#24 Spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith

You have strong and coherent beliefs about the higher purpose and meaning of the universe. You know where you fit in the larger scheme. Your beliefs shape your actions and are a source of comfort to you.
 It does appear that Transcendence is not one of my main virtues.

Strength#22 Gratitude,
Strength#21 Hope, optimism, and future-mindedness
Strength#20 Appreciation of beauty and excellence
Strength#10 Humor and playfulness

Which I guess is fair enough, as I do not have a state of being or existence above and beyond the limits of material experience.

So what questions did the survey ask that led to my ranking on Spirituality? The survey is made up of 240 questions, I believe that 10 of them are about each character strength.

I am a spiritual person.
I practice my religion.
My faith never deserts me during hard times.
My life has a strong purpose.
In the last ~24 hours, I have spent 30 minutes in prayer, meditation or contemplation.
My faith makes me who I am.
I believe that each person has a purpose in life.
I believe in a universal power, a god.
My beliefs make my life important.
I have a calling in my life.

 
This seems to be measuring a particular form of religiousness, more than it is measuring a general spirituality or sense of purpose, although a couple of questions are directed at a sense of purpose. Those of you that know me will be able to anticipate my answers, so I will not distract you with the straightforward disagreements.

I suppose I could have answered "My faith never deserts me during hard time" as a very much like me; as my (lack of) faith is fairly invariable during hard and happy times.

"My life has a strong purpose." I could have answered in the affirmative, as creating a purpose for life is something that people can do, I answered in the negative as that phrase normally implies a purpose from outwith.

Now while I answered  "In the last ~24 hours, I have spent 30 minutes in prayer, meditation or contemplation" as not like me, I have just spent more than thirty minutes observing this way of measuring 'spirituality' so if I re-took the test I suppose I would have to strongly agree to it.

I feel that the coupling of "a universal power, a god" may be narrowly defining religious as monotheistic.

So 'spirituality' seems to be based on the assumptions of a monotheistic religious experience, and it does not seem probably that a person with an atheistic world view, even if they feel that their life is purposeful, or that one of things to do in life is to create purpose, would have this as one of their top five character strengths.

While reading around this topic I have come across, from a different psychological tradition, the notion of "spiritual intelligence" as something 'good' employees should have, while I intend to continue my exploration of the character strengths and virtues I may go and have a look at some of that literature over the next couple of days.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment